ibyvznxw

Moderator: Angel

DaveyJones
Contributor
Contributor

Replacement Lamp Holder does not Seat in HL-S5687W

Post by DaveyJones » Fri Apr 16, 2010 4:46 pm

I bought my Samsung DLP HL-S5687W TV new 3.5 years ago from Best Buy. I noticed recently that my lamp was losing brightness and purchased a new lamp + holder from dm.com.

I was expecting an easy swap of the old unit with the new one, but have run into a problem. While the lamp code on stickers both the inside of the TV and the outside read BP96-01472A as does the Samsung branded box and new lamp/holder, the new unit does not seat correctly in the tv.

It's easy for me to remove the old unit and slide it back in. But the new unit slides in and stops about 1/8"-1/4" from the end. I can see the two metal guides start to stick through the lamp holder, but I cannot push it in any further (and I've tried). I needed to go back to the old lamp holder. I know I can swap lamps but before I went that route I wanted to see if anyone ran into a similar situation and had some resolution.

Looking at the two units, there are defintitely cosmetic differences where power connects to the lamp holder. It's hard to know if these are just cosmetic or if they are the reason for my inability to seat the new holder.

I will add that the old lamp holder has a few numbers on it: It says, BP61-01195A Holder Lamp #3 and also says PPS-GF30K. The new lamp holder only says the lamp code of BP96-01472A.

I will also add that I tried calling Samsanung to see if they had some information on lamp holders changing mid-cycle and they were no help at all. Simply told me to call a technician.

Low-res photo attacehd.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Attachments
Enclosure Differences Highlighted - small.jpg
Enclosure Differences Highlighted - small.jpg (103.23 KiB) Viewed 3700 times

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Re: Replacement Lamp Holder does not Seat in HL-S5687W

Post by Jason1976 » Sat Apr 17, 2010 10:53 am

thats not the encloser it's the connector. you can switch the connect wires from one to the other. but if you are going to do all of that then you might as of well bought a loose lamp and saved money by switching it out. You should call direct merchant and let them know the connector isn't the same. maybe they will give you some kind of discount if you have to switch wires.

to switch the connectors. you will need a philipps screw driver and an ajustable wrench. Remove the one screw by the wire. The wire should now move from the lamp housing but will still be connected to the lamp inside the housing. need to open up the housing. by removing some screws, there will be a screw holding one wire to the lamp and a nut on the back of the lamp, remove both. repeat it for the new lamp housing. take the wire from the old one and install it on the new lamp housing, reverse the steps and put it back together. but like I said since you paid extra money for the hole housing it would tick me off to pay the extra and still have to do part of the work of just replacing the bare lamp.

DaveyJones
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DaveyJones » Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:52 pm

I have instructions on how to swap the lamps. I did call DM last week, but they insisted the one they sent is right and were not interested in seeing the photo. They did mention they would refund the lamp holder price if I swapped the lamps, but that's only about $10. Thanks.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 6:36 pm

The holders are the same it's just the wires that are not. if you look one screw holds in the jack. I looked up the lamp online and everywere I look shows the one DM sent you. You should call samsung and see whats going on. that or just switch it and save the 10 dollars.

DaveyJones
Contributor
Contributor

Post by DaveyJones » Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:58 pm

I'll see if I can swap the connector. I did call Samsung first thing (I think I mentioned this in my original post). But they were no help at all and would not research a change in lamp holder design. They just told me to call a technician and good luck.

ohiomike

Post by ohiomike » Sat Jul 24, 2010 1:16 am

I'm glad I saw this post - I was about ready to put my foot through the TV. I had exactly the same issue - purchased through Discount Merchant.com, the housing was slightly different and it wouldn't go in all the way. I thought I was doing something wrong. After I read this string I switched the new bulb to the original housing and it worked immediately. Thanks much.

It's funny how the quality of the TV picture degrades slowly over time - when I put in the new bulb I was amazed how clear the picture was.

KimfUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

ibyvznxw

Post by KimfUp » Fri Feb 03, 2023 2:33 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”