ryyxyitf

Moderator: Angel

Samsung56Fix

My successful repair story - Bad Color Wheel

Post by Samsung56Fix » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:01 pm

Intro : I am making this post in the hopes that it will help someone out there troubleshoot their Samsung DLP. FYI, I’m no expert, just someone who was able to fix their set after reading many posts on this site (and others).

Situation : I purchased a 56” DLP from Costco in Oct 2005, for about $2400. It ran flawlessly until May 2010, when it started shuting off (power cycling) and flashing the 3 lights of death. After reading up online about the issue, I did the standard cleaning of dust, which had no effect. Please note, don’t be afraid to pop the back off the tv and dust more thoroughly than I did…it’s held on with about 16-18 screws and comes on/off pretty easily. Next thing I tried was to point a fan at the back of the set, to further explore the overheating issue. This initially helped, but only in that the tv would run for about an hour before shutting off (versus 15 minutes or so without the fan). At this point, based on what I had read on-line, my next steps would be to: 1) replace the lamp, 2) replace the ballast, or 3) replace the color wheel. As for item 3, I never got the horrible grinding noise that many mention when I color wheel goes back, so I discounted that item.

The Fix : I purchased a replacement lamp online, installed it (very simple, again don’t be aftaid to tackle this) and the problem was still there. At this point, the tv would only run a few minutes before shutting down, and I at times heard a very slight buzzing or grinding sound from the back. My next step was to try replacing the ballast, which sounded a bit more complicated, and given it was now summer, I decided to store the tv in the basement and buy a replacement Phillips 47” LCD (which I love!). Flash forward to November 2010, and I had more time to fiddle with the tv. I purchased a ballast online, and went ahead and installed it. The install was pretty simple, it took about 15 minutes, only because I was moving slowly and afraid I’d mess something else up. This also did not solve the problem, and furthermore, the tv was also now exhibiting what I can only refer to as “dancing colors”. All the colors would be constantly dancing in and out, and then of course the tv would shut off after a couple minutes. Bad had gone to worse. At this point I basically had to decide if I wanted to put any more money into the set. The color wheel was the next obvious item to tackle, but I didn’t want to pour any more money down the drain. Ultimately, I couldn’t bring myself to toss the tv on the curb, so I went ahead and bought the color wheel. While I was waiting for it to arrive, I watched the videos on Youtube, and they were very helpful in terms of showing me what to expect (just search for Samsung color wheel replacement). The color wheel replacement took about 40 minutes, and the most difficult part was sliding the color wheel ribbon back in as many others have pointed out. Again, if you have any sort of “fix it” skills, don’t be afraid to tackle this job…the videos are very helpful. The only other suggestion I would have is to take plenty of hi-res pictures as you disassemble things. I did have to refer to the photos to make sure I re-assembled one part correctly. Any hoo, the tv now would stay on, but I still had the “dancing color” issue. I decided to step away for a couple days and think things over….the dancing color issue first surfaced after replacing the ballast, so on a whim, I decided to put the old ballast back in………and, that fixed it…the tv now ran perfectly!!! So, to summarize, I had a bad color wheel all along, and I had unknowingly installed a bad replacment ballast along the way, which sidetracked me for a bit. Total repair costs were under $300, and that included buying both a ballast and lamp that I didn’t even need (I can use the spare lamp, but tossed the defective ballast).

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: My successful repair story - Bad Color Wheel

Post by grayfox » Sun Feb 06, 2011 9:30 pm

=) thank you for sharing your story!

I keep telling my friends who also spent thousands of dollars on an HDTV that spending 200t o 300$ to save it is completely worth it! you are proof. Also I purchased a non working 60 inch from craigslist for 150$ and fixed it with a new lamp and ballast 200$ so there is a 60 inch HDTV in our guest room for 350$!!!!!!
ImageUnit Foxhound

SuefUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

ryyxyitf

Post by SuefUp » Mon Apr 24, 2023 12:54 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”