tntmndqg

Moderator: Angel

weyus

Gray semicircular shadows on Samsung HL-5086W

Post by weyus » Wed Jan 05, 2011 6:44 am

Hello all,

I have two problems with a Samsung HL-5086W that I purchased 2nd hand from someone, and which is out of warranty, to the best of my knowledge.

1) I have a set of semicircular shadows on the bottom half of the screen. One shadow seems to be symmetrical around the middle and one only shows up on the left side. There seem to be many black pixels on the left side as well.

2) I have 3 opaque black spots going across the bottom. These 3 spots do appear to be contained within the semicircular shadows, so that seems to be interesting. I am wondering if I created these as I had not seen them until I cleaned the screen with Windex and paper towels (I didn't know that I wasn't supposed to use Windex). Perhaps I introduced moisture behind the screen. I found a post on how to clean the inside of the screen but then lost that page, and can't refind it.

I went into the factory service menu and ran through some test patterns. I believe that the lamp and color wheel are fine.

I've attached a photo of the problem which I took on my VCR input, so no TV image behind it. Ignore the seeming washed out blue quality on top. The artifacts I'm talking about show clearly in this photo.
DLP_image.jpg
Semicircular shadowing and 3 opaque black spots along bottom of screen
DLP_image.jpg (239.71 KiB) Viewed 4265 times
Do I need to look at getting a new DMD board?

Many thanks for any help,
Wes

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Gray semicircular shadows on Samsung HL-5086W

Post by grayfox » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:24 pm

I think it is time to change your DMD board, moisture in an RPTV screen would have to be sufficient to drain down, i do not think wiping it down would cause this. The trick here is that you might have to replace the entire light engine since the DMD board is usually harness to and sold as a unit...
hope this helps!
ImageUnit Foxhound

weyus

Re: Gray semicircular shadows on Samsung HL-5086W

Post by weyus » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:55 pm

Hitting the dark spots with a hair dryer cleans them up eventually.

The ovals are still there. I neglected to mention because I'm embarrassed, but this TV sat on the floor for a few months and one my dogs peed on it over that time (once on each side) - wondering if that kind of moisture could have chemically caused the ring effect I'm seeing. I'm hoping that applying heat to the screen over time will help that as it did the dark black spots.

W

AshfUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

tntmndqg

Post by AshfUp » Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:48 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”