hixhlwed

Moderator: Angel

ajh3415

Samsung 56" DLP No Picture

Post by ajh3415 » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:52 am

I picked up a 56" Samsung DLP TV HLP5674 off Craigslist in hopes of fixing it but am not sure what is wrong with it. Here's what I know/was told about it:

-Bulb replaced about 40hrs ago
-Color wheel replaced less than 40hrs ago
-Has no picture but powers up and ballast makes ringing noise
-Automatically powers on when plugged in, the only way for it to be off while plugged in is to take off the lamp door panel then put it back on
-The power button on the side of the TV will turn it on when pressed (after using above method to turn it off)
-I am not familiar with how the remote should function, but when I cycle through the modes, they all light up green except for the "TV" mode which lights up red and for some reason will not work with the TV
-The previous owner thought the problem is a faulty DMD board.

I am wondering if there is anything else I could try before replacing the DMD board? The remote issue is keeping me from trying to reset the bulb timer, would I even see anything on the screen if I got the remote to work? Let me know if you need any additional information. Thank you.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: Samsung 56" DLP No Picture

Post by grayfox » Sat Jan 22, 2011 3:51 am

Hello,
I think it might be time to replace your ballast, this is the second most common problem with RPTVs and it is one of the consumable parts that need replacement at least once during a projection TVs life span. Weak ballasts can ignite an older more “spent” lamp since the mercury quantity might be lower, but has problems when it is replaced with a new mercury rich lamp. A sure way to diagnose this problem is an electronic “arching” sound emitted during ignition, like a buzzing, that is the sound of the ballast not being able to generate the 15kv needed to ignite the lamp. Another indicator is the lamp error code, since the lamp is not igniting, TV automatically believes this is an issue with the lamp, unfortunately it has no sensor for the ballast!
ImageUnit Foxhound

Wimlok
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

hixhlwed

Post by Wimlok » Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:52 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”