dixxvvbi

Moderator: Angel

Larry
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLR4677WX/XAA works fine for 30 minutes

Post by Larry » Sat May 02, 2009 9:58 pm

Thanks for taking the time to read about my issue!

I have a 46 inch Samsung DLP which is about 3 1/2 years old and has never had any work done to it. A few months ago the TV started humming a little louder than usual, but nothing too bad. About 1 month ago the TV would work as usual for about an hour then would start loosing it's color and turning green until the picture would start to flicker. If I turned it off for 10 to 15 minutes we could then watch for another hour.

So I opened up the TV and carefully cleaned out the dust with a vacuum. The TV started lasting a little longer after the clean out. The TV now lasts only 20 to 30 minutes before the flickering begins.

Any suggestions on how to fix this? Thank you for your help.

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung HLR4677WX/XAA works fine for 30 minutes

Post by Angel » Mon May 04, 2009 3:43 pm

Did you vacuum the light engine? I think there's the problem.
The best "Do It Yourself" site for all types of Displays!

Jake
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Post by Jake » Mon May 04, 2009 4:47 pm

yep... Try to clean the light engine and also the FANS...

LETS HUNT ALL THE DUST BUNNIES :D

also, something that always helps.... PUT like a FAN on the back of the TV or at the side...that way it can be cooling the TV
If it works that way, then you are having a problem with HEAT. If it keeps giving you the same problem after cleaning the dust and also keeping the TV cool...

regards
Jakey!

Larry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Larry » Sat May 09, 2009 5:31 am

Thank you guys for the help!!

I removed the back covers and vacuumed out the TV, but I don't know exactly where the light engine is. After the vacuuming, the colors are alot more vibrant, but it still starts flickering at around 30 minutes.

So I'm going to research where exactly the light engine is and vacuum that out and any fans around it and report back. Sorry it takes me so long to respond, but I only have the weekends to work on the TV.

Thanks again!

Larry

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Post by Angel » Mon May 11, 2009 3:14 pm

This is a color wheel replacement guide: http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/bp96-01579a.php, there you can see where the light engine is located.

HTH ;) .

Larry
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Larry » Mon Jun 01, 2009 5:44 am

Thanks again for all your help!! Thanks for the guide too, it help me to take apart the TV. So I dusted the heck out of everything, and the problem remains. I ran the TV without the back cover, and it lasts longer (I think because it was able to disipate the heat better), but after a few days it went back to lasting 20 to 30 minutes before the flickering.

To better explain the flickering, lets say a person is talking in the center of the screen, a few lighter, discolored versions of the same person will start flickering on either side of the actual person while the entire picture starts to get a stonger and stronger green tint to it until I turn off the TV. While this is all happening, it sounds like a fan is having trouble keeping it's speed up. But I can't figure out which fan it is, and all the fans look clean.

Also, when I took everything apart, I was able to get to a point where I can see the color wheel through a small glass, and everything in there appears clean, but I stopped there and didn't disassemble any further. Should I have kept going? If so, is there another guide that's specific to my HLR4677WX/XAA?

Any other ideas would be greatly appreciated. Sorry it takes so long for me to report back, but please know that I really appreciate your help and I will always report back (even if it takes a while) so that others can benefit from this post as well.

Thanks again!!

Larry

Angel
Site Admin
Site Admin

Re: Samsung HLR4677WX/XAA works fine for 30 minute

Post by Angel » Mon Jun 01, 2009 1:49 pm

Hello again Larry,

The fan you're hearing could be the color wheel, If you can see that the two fans are working fine then your color wheel could be having trouble spinning. That would explain the green tint. But it doesn't explain the flickering, that seems to be a board issue.

What you can do:

-Check if the flickering and the green tint affect also the TV menu.
-In case both symptoms affect it then my recommendation would be to replace the whole light engine (this is a better option than replacing the color wheel and the DMD board).
-In case that the flickering does NOT affect the menu then the problem could be with another board (digital or analog). Check if the problem persists with all the inputs the same way (digital board) or just with some of them (analog board).

However before buying anything get back to me with the results of this test (to be on the safe side)

Hope this helps ;)

FEChariot

Post by FEChariot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 4:31 am

I have a 42" Samsung and it has the exact same problem so I wanted to post here and keep an eye on this.

I have a fan going in the back of mine and it lasts ~ 2 hours with the fan and 30 min without.

FEChariot

Post by FEChariot » Thu Jun 11, 2009 5:48 am

I took some pictures of it. The Direct TV/Tivo menu should be blue. It is flickering, but hard to capture that with a still image.

Using component 1

And composite 3

It also effects the TV menu.

I have several times tried vacuuming and blowing out dust. It helps, but only adds about 10 min before it frizzes out again.

KiafUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

dixxvvbi

Post by KiafUp » Wed Nov 09, 2022 10:44 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”