yhnhxkmj

Moderator: Angel

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

HL-P5063W Intermittent "blackout" flicker

Post by PAKid » Sun Feb 13, 2011 6:53 am

Hello all,

So about 3 months ago I replaced both the Lamp and Color Wheel in my Samsung HL-P5063W with new parts. Originally my lamp had popped, and then within a week's time of replacing the lamp the color wheel died out (with the typical loud screeching noise associated with bad color wheels) -- good timing I guess. In any case, I replaced both parts with new quality replacements and the TV has been working well ever since. The only problem I seemed to have after the replacement parts were installed is now the occasional "blackout" flicker.

What I mean by this "blackout" flicker is that the screen will go black for a matter of about 1-2 seconds while watching something, but sound still remains even during the blackout. After the 1-2 second time period is up, the picture returns and everything seems perfect. This problem was happening maybe about once every few days, and it really wasn't enough to make much of a fuss over.

However, within the last week or so this problem is happening much more frequently, probably at least once per hour. In some instances, the blackout flicker will happen 3 or 4 times consecutively before the picture returns to normal. I've checked and double-checked my input source cabling to make sure this wasn't possibly causing the issue, and I can't seem to find anything wrong there. So in my estimation it has to be the TV. Any suggestions on what this problem might be?

Any and all help is appreciated!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: HL-P5063W Intermittent "blackout" flicker

Post by grayfox » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:42 pm

Hello!
Since the lamp is fairly new I would take a ook into the ballast, maybe noticing if there is any clicking or buzzing sounds during ignition, use or when it blacks out...
hope this helps
ImageUnit Foxhound

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:17 am

grayfox wrote:Hello!
Since the lamp is fairly new I would take a ook into the ballast, maybe noticing if there is any clicking or buzzing sounds during ignition, use or when it blacks out...
hope this helps
Hey grayfox... thanks for the reply! No ballast clicking or buzzing upon startup or prior to these blackouts. The lamp lights up easy, you get the "hello" sound and no indicator lights at all on the front panel. I was also just watching the TV for a little while, and when another blackout happened I made sure to verify if the lamp was still lit during the blackout period -- and it was. There was illumination coming out of the back of the TV as there normally would be if the picture was being displayed properly.

I did a Google search on this TV model and "black screen" and did come across some other forums where guys were talking of similar problems. I didn't find a complete thread with problem/solution posted, but the one I did find was mentioning a power board as being a potential solution. I don't know enough about the full inventory of boards in these TV's to know exactly what he might have been talking about. I'm also fairly certain there are both Analog and Digital power circuitry inside of these units, so wouldn't just want to take a shot in the dark on some random part to replace.

Any other possible ideas?

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 10:59 am

Just giving a little morning bump to this post in hopes of getting a few more replies. This blackout flicker is getting worse, almost to the point of the TV being unwatchable. Did a bit more Googling on this issue to see if I could find an a solution, and I did come across this: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1200783

Not a solution, but it is the same exact problem I'm having with my TV. One poster replied back saying "Most likely need to replace the Digital Board" which is very vague. I'm assuming what is meant here is the Digital Video board? (http://www.discount-merchant.com/Produc ... lick=54985) But maybe this isn't what is being referred to, I suppose it could also be the Digital PCB board (part number BP9402084A) that was being referred to (or possibly even something entirely different... uggh, frustrating).

While browsing discount-merchant.com, I did see a full Light Engine replacement for L3/L6 chassis TV's. This replacement does contain the Digital PCB board (BP9402084A), but does not contain the Digital Video board. I'd really rather not spend $179 on this TV, as I'm getting dangerously close to having re-invested WAY too much money into this beast already (with my recent Lamp and Color wheel replacement) - but I do still feel there's value in this TV if I can get this next repair done for cheap.

So just looking for some kind of advice here since I'm getting desperate :)

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 11:17 am

Just adding a bit more info. Came across a post on ecoustics.com forum where a regular poster named "FYI" was answering a ton of questions about DLP problems. In this thread he mentions the following:
The DMD is fine.
The digital board is the culprit.
It tells the DMD what to display.

The "N" and "P" models have had a few of these boards crapping out lately. Symptoms have included lines, freezing, negative image, fixed color, blackout, loss of control, and shut down. For a while techs were replacing them with boards that would eventually fail too. I see that samsungparts now shows a few models having an upgraded digital board. Only time will tell if they have corralled this issue.

Original owners with two or more repairs usually get options for a newer model replacement, if you press it. They usually hit'em up for shipping, though.

Best of luck with your situation.
Let us know how it turns out.
This was in reference to someone having the same issue as myself with the blackouts. Again the digital board is mentioned, but again no actual part number is referenced so I have no clue what digital board he's referring to. Just wanted to add this info to the thread for reference.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:00 pm

hhmmm that is a lot of research :o I think you can try the Digital Video Board first, it is relatively cheap and easy to install, you just have to make sure you order it by model of TV AND the board number off the part, since these all look the same and some are for different screen sizes :|
ImageUnit Foxhound

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Tue Feb 15, 2011 6:06 pm

grayfox wrote:hhmmm that is a lot of research :o I think you can try the Digital Video Board first, it is relatively cheap and easy to install, you just have to make sure you order it by model of TV AND the board number off the part, since these all look the same and some are for different screen sizes :|
Thanks again for the reply grayfox :) I went ahead and purchased a used Digital Video Board on Ebay today. I was really looking to buy NEW, but it seems that even the boards on discount-merchant are all used pulls from parted out sets. So in keeping with the "I really want to keep this repair as cheap as possible" theme, I went the Ebay route instead. The best price I was able to find NEW was something close to $200, which was way more then I could spend on this fix.

In any case, here's the link to the auction where I made the purchase: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... AQ:US:1123
* they do guarantee against DOA parts, so I guess it's as good as buying used from anyplace else.

After I purchased the board, I looked over the auction description once again and the item is listed as a Digital Video Board for a Samsung "HL-5063W". My TV is a Samsung HL-P5063W. I'm kind of kicking myself now since there is an obvious discrepancy in the model numbers, with the "P" designation missing from the Ebay board. I'm thinking this may possibly be an oversight/typo from the seller, since I've personally never seen mention of an HL-5063w model without the "P" designation, but I could be wrong.

Just in taking a look at this auction write-up and model numbers, does this part appear to be the correct replacement?

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:21 am

I don't think you need to worry about the model number, my doubt are with the pictures, I would contact the seller and make sure this is not a DMD board (because of the metal casing...)
ImageUnit Foxhound

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Wed Feb 16, 2011 12:44 am

grayfox wrote:I don't think you need to worry about the model number, my doubt are with the pictures, I would contact the seller and make sure this is not a DMD board (because of the metal casing...)
Thought the same thing originally when I saw this picture, but then when looking other places for a used board I did see a few that had the metal shroud over the board as well. It's a crap picture for sure, but you can see the DVI and VGA connections coming off the edge of the board which would indicate that it is the Digital Video Board. I think the DMD boards have DVI connection coming off the flat surface of the board, since I do believe the DMD board sits vertically in the chassis setup.

I guess only time will tell though. It's been shipped, so in three days when I get it I'll report back with my results. I may still be looking for a solution to my blackout fix if this doesn't do the trick :)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:31 pm

:D "its been shipped" lol. but yes some do come with the metal casing and after further reviewing I noticed the plugs, hopefully everything will work out fine 8-) if not were here to help! :!:
ImageUnit Foxhound

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:13 pm

Got my replacement Digital Video Board today and installed it, and sure enough... no more blackout flicker! Just wanted to keep this thread updated for anyone that might come across it in the future with the same issue.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:28 pm

:D :mrgreen: yay! yes hopefully this thread will help someone who googles the same problem! enjoy your HDTV! ;)
ImageUnit Foxhound

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Fri Mar 04, 2011 12:38 pm

Ok... so would you believe that after only a couple weeks with my replacement Digital Video Board in place, I'm starting to have some blackout flickers again!!

Now granted, I did buy this replacement board USED on Ebay, so the replacement board itself could very well have been in its dying days before I even installed it. But man, what a coincidence for this to happen a second time... pretty ridiculous actually. I have an email into the seller since they do sell quite a few TV parts, and in fact I do believe even have multiples of this same board up for auction on Ebay.

But I wanted to get a message up here and address this with anybody that might have more information. Could there be something with the TV itself that is potentially causing multiple Digital Video Boards to go bad? Or should I really just chalk this up to pure coincidence that the used board was probably already going bad before I got it?

Now with regard to the bad boards themselves... since this is a somewhat common problem from my original research, can anyone tell me what's actually causing the boards to go bad in the first place? Is there any kind of component replacement that can be done on these boards to "refurbish" them back to good working condition? Most parts sellers of these boards do offer a core refund if you swap out your old board for the new one, so I would have to think there is a "fix" for them rather then just throwing them in the trash.

As always, any/all response is appreciated :)

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:30 pm

Hello again!
sorry to hear that! :cry: I actually made some research on your tv and could not find -what I think- would be a logical explanation; maybe that part is the Achilles heel of that model!
let me know if the eBay seller exchanged it for you!
ImageUnit Foxhound

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:21 am

Ebay seller did exchange it for me, and was very helpful even though I was slightly past their 14-day reuturn/exchange policy. Seller is nettle75 on Ebay if anyone else in the market, as they do seem to have similar parts listed all the time.

Still waiting for the exchanged Digital Vid board to arrive. Hoping I don't get only a week or two out of this one also before getting blackout flickers again. The TV goes 5yrs without as much as a hiccup, and then in 3 months time the lamp, color wheel, and now two Digital Vid board craps out on me (twice!). The lamp and color wheel I can deal with, as those are typical "wear" parts and that's to be expected... but the board failure is just frustrating.

I've still gotta think there's a component on these boards that must go bad and can possibly be replaced to "refurbish" the board. Of course this is pure speculation on my part, but it has to be something in particular that causes so many of these boards to fail. Would love someone that's experienced with this issue or even the hardware itself to chime in, but that's wishful thinking :)

Once again, will post back once I have the part in place.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:33 pm

will wait for the update, in the meantime I am going to flush your TV model down the pipe of techs see what I can dig up ;)
ImageUnit Foxhound

PAKid
Contributor
Contributor

Post by PAKid » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:16 pm

Got my second replacement Digital Video Board today and installed it. When I first powered up the TV after the replacement, the Lamp light was flashing and the lamp didn't seem to want to fire. And then the TV was shutting itself down automatically, and I was getting a flashing "Lamp" and "Timer" lights in green. Needless to say, I wasn't happy with this.... HOWEVER.... I then came to realize that I totally forgot to re-connect the DVI cable internally to the new board. Opppps....

Once I re-connected the internal DVI cable and pieced everything back together a second time, the TV fired up perfectly. Been watching TV now for close to 2hrs and I'm blackout free. The first replacement board seemed to be blackout free at first, only to start the blackouts up about a day or two after installation. Although I really do feel that I was just unlucky with that first replacement board, and that I very likely got a used board that was on the verge of having the same issue as I was previously experiencing. So I'm keeping my fingers crossed for sure with this second replacement :)

If you do come across any detailed info on the actual problem with these boards, by all means pass the info along. I still have my original board, so if I could refurb that one and have a backup waiting in the wings, that would certainly be nice.

Thanks again!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Mon Mar 14, 2011 11:53 pm

welcome! ;) congrats on a job well done 8-) ! and will do, i'll keep an eye out :idea:
ImageUnit Foxhound

SuefUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

yhnhxkmj

Post by SuefUp » Thu May 11, 2023 3:10 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”