bpndnyhk

Moderator: Angel

russhull
Contributor
Contributor

After moving, Samsung DLP turns itself off and on

Post by russhull » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:16 am

Hi all-

After moving it across country, my Samsung HL-P4663W has decided to start behaving strangely. It will power on for up to a minute (and the picture looks perfectly fine!), before turning itself off. Sometimes it stays off with no lights blinking, sometimes it turns itself off and on repeatedly, sometimes it turns off and 2 lights blink, sometimes it turns off and all three lights blink. No broken parts are immediately apparent inside, but who knows what could have been jostled out of place.

Does it sound like I just have a bad bulb? Could something be wrong with the ballast? The TV was actually pretty well secured in the van, so nothing inside could have gotten crushed or anything... plus, it will stay on for several minutes with a perfectly fine picture.

Thanks for your help!

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Re: After moving, Samsung DLP turns itself off and on

Post by grayfox » Wed Feb 16, 2011 5:32 pm

Hello,
well judging by the fact that you have no distortion or weird noises, I would replace the lamp first, however do not dismiss the possibility of the ballast. :?:
It could have grown weak over time, or maybe some static shorting some components out during the move... :oops: the facts vs questions are:
- the TV lights up so the lamp might be ok, when was the last time you replaced it?
- the tv shuts down so the ballast could be bad, does it always turn on or does it fail to ignite sometimes?

Hope I can Help!! :D
ImageUnit Foxhound

russhull
Contributor
Contributor

Post by russhull » Wed Feb 16, 2011 8:36 pm

Thanks for your reply! The TV always seems to power up, and how long it stays on varies. I've actually found that it will stay on much longer if I'm not providing a signal to the component input. And then once that signal comes through, it shuts itself off. This definitely points away from the lamp, and even perhaps the ballast, I'm not sure.

grayfox
Jedi Master
Jedi Master

Post by grayfox » Thu Feb 17, 2011 3:52 pm

Wow, this will be hard to diagnose over a forum :| ...
If you have had your lamp for over a year I suggest you replace it and I still would not dismiss the ballast! every projection TV (you can google this ;) ) has to have the ballast replaced at least once during its life time, to be honest I have no idea why new lamps don't just come with a ballast! :roll:
Now about the input, the only thing that comes to mind if the lamp does not fix this issue would be the color wheel. Maybe the bearing is heating up after a while and when it is demanding to show actual colors (input) it fails and the DMD board shuts the TV down... just brainstorming here :geek:
ImageUnit Foxhound

SuefUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

bpndnyhk

Post by SuefUp » Tue May 16, 2023 6:12 am

buying lexapro online lexapro cost canada lexapro india

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”