qfgkyvedwx

Moderator: Angel

tripleb52
Contributor
Contributor

Black and white tv on start-up and tv turns off by

Post by tripleb52 » Sat Mar 28, 2009 9:56 pm

I have a HL-P5063w that I bought in 05. Symptoms are a black and white screen when I start it up. The color comes back on after a couple of minutes and is fine while watching. I have already replaced the color wheel which was in fact bad and needed to be replaced. If anyone has a fix for this or some input I would appreciate it. Thank you
p.s. the menu color is working while the picture is black and white

tripleb52
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Black and white tv on start-up and tv turns off by

Post by tripleb52 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 4:13 am

So...what im thinking is that it's either one of two things.

Number one: As I've been reading on other posts, I believe that it takes more juice to fire up the lamp as it gets older due to the increase in the gap. Using up more juice there may decrease the amount of juice used towards the color wheel on start-up causing it to be black and white for some time during that period. The color returns when the lamp is then fully lit, requiring less wattage. Just a thought.

Number two: Maybe I have a weak ballast, resulting in a reduced wattage to feed the lamp, color wheel, fans, etc. all at one time. By the time the lamp is fully lit then the ballast has enough juice to power everything.

If anyone can give some information to support either of these two theories or give up some info on another possibility it would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Post by ovadoggvo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:45 pm

tripleb52,
The loss of color that you are describing is most likely caused by a bad DIGITAL BOARD. The reason I assume digital board is because your Menu has color, which means your DMD is processing color. The part that is not processing the color to begin with is the digital board. Do a quick test. Does your picture in picture give you color? if yes, the your digital board is 95% the issue.

Your digital board can be found here: http://www.discount-merchant.com/Search ... 3w+digital

Let us know.

tripleb52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tripleb52 » Wed Apr 01, 2009 11:53 pm

The PIP is also in Black and White. The only thing in color is the menu, the volume and the source/channel indicater in the upper lefthand corner of the screen.

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Post by ovadoggvo » Thu Apr 02, 2009 6:20 am

tripleb,
I would suggest that the digital board be replaced. It's most likely the problem.

tripleb52
Contributor
Contributor

Post by tripleb52 » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:16 am

I replaced the Digital Board today when it arrived from DM. Simple install done in about 30 minutes or so. Seems to be the fix for all of my troubles so far. fires up full color instantly. the question I have is, why do these go bad or what goes bad on the digital board to make it do that. Will keep you posted if I fire it up tomorrow and is still black and white. thank you for all your help i really appreciate it

ovadoggvo
Master Technician
Master Technician

Post by ovadoggvo » Sat Apr 11, 2009 2:52 am

tripleb52,
The boards tend to fail with time. The main reason this board fails is due to the overheating of the DNIe chip. The chip is respnsible for decoding and encoding digital signals using Samsung DNIe technology. Great technology, great TV's from the get go, but as time goes by they need a little bit of attention.

I'm glad it resolved the issue you were having. I hope it stays nice and clear!

AmyfUp
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

qfgkyvedwx

Post by AmyfUp » Mon Oct 31, 2022 4:23 am

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”