kzklkzbi

Moderator: Angel

cocobrotha1

MY HL-S5087 is buzzing and don't know why

Post by cocobrotha1 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 7:31 am

Hi everybody, i'm new to the board. I have a problem with my HL-S5087 DLP tv. I brought my TV 2 days before super bowl 42 and have been in love with it since then. But, now she is in need of some repair and help. About 6 months ago its been doing this buzzing noise where the color wheel and lamp are and then it shuts off. So, i have been leaving it off, so that way i don't cause any more extensive damage to it. Sometimes i chanced it and it would stay on for a long while before shutting off. But, now it does it after like 15-20 mins, then it shuts off. I want to replace the lamp but really don't know how. i've seen some how to guides but for this model. I really need help, is there anybody that can help me. I know the only things so far that can go bad on this tv is the lamp and color wheel. But like i said, i don't know how to remove it and install a new one. Can anybody help me. I'm in desperate need of help. I'm starting to miss my "24".

Crowell
Tech Junkie
Tech Junkie

Re: MY HL-S5087 is buzzing and don't know why

Post by Crowell » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:46 pm

Hello, let me see if I can help, first of all, how old is your TV? Have you ever replaced the lamp?
The symptoms you are describing are from a failing color wheel (the buzzing sound) how ever if you never replace the lamp and is more that two years old then the lamp is not so far behind from expiring.
Also for the parts that can go bad… there are plenty more, the ballast, light engine, DMD board, digital board, the fans, all are know to fail in these Samsung Tv’s. my advice is to first replace the color wheel, buy a new one (around $70 to $150) if you know a good honest technician take the TV and tell him to replace the color wheel, if that fixes the buzzing sound but still no picture then its probably the lamp also.
Here is the guide for replacing the lamp of your TV and im also adding another vid to help you out with the lamp door (just in case).
http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/BP96-01472A.php
http://www.youtube.com/user/FixYourDLPc ... jr_9A5Xd2Q
Hope this helps.
Knowledge is the one true power

cocobrotha1

Post by cocobrotha1 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 7:30 am

Crowell wrote:Hello, let me see if I can help, first of all, how old is your TV? Have you ever replaced the lamp?
The symptoms you are describing are from a failing color wheel (the buzzing sound) how ever if you never replace the lamp and is more that two years old then the lamp is not so far behind from expiring.
Also for the parts that can go bad… there are plenty more, the ballast, light engine, DMD board, digital board, the fans, all are know to fail in these Samsung Tv’s. my advice is to first replace the color wheel, buy a new one (around $70 to $150) if you know a good honest technician take the TV and tell him to replace the color wheel, if that fixes the buzzing sound but still no picture then its probably the lamp also.
Here is the guide for replacing the lamp of your TV and im also adding another vid to help you out with the lamp door (just in case).
http://guides.fixyourdlp.com/samsung/BP96-01472A.php
http://www.youtube.com/user/FixYourDLPc ... jr_9A5Xd2Q
Hope this helps.
Thanks Crowell. The info you gave me is very helpful. I would have never thought it to be the color wheel. But, like i stated in my post, i purchased the TV on 2/2/08. i haven't even had it 2 damn years yet. So, all in all i would be spending more money on it from when i purchased it, that sucks. I should have went LCD. longer life at least. But, i will definitely check it out and get back to you on that. it will take me a minute to obtain a color wheel and lamp. I don't have $250 plus lying around for the moment. But, i will definitely get back to you on it. Thanks a bunch.

verncad

Post by verncad » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:49 pm

It sounds like your color wheel. The part is about $125, and you can do it yourself if you are brave enough. There is a video on youtube that is very good, gives you a visual step by step direction. I just replaced my color wheel, and while the task looks daunting, it really isn't that bad. Replacing the lamp is very easy. On rear panel there is a a square panel (bottom right of the rear panel) it has four screws. remove this panel. My lamp is held in by one screw, you may have two. Just loosen it, and the assembly slides out. Slide the new one in, screw in, replace the panel and you should be set. If the color wheel is not spinning, the lamp won't come on. Having a spare lamp is not a bad idea anyway. That cost is about $110. A technician will charge you between $400-$500 to replace the color wheel. I didn't want to pay that, and I was successful in replacing, although it took three tries. The first time, it took me almost two hours to remove the color wheel. The third time took 20 minutes. My tv is now in perfect working condition. One note, don't order parts from Sears Parts Direct. They will tell you its in stock even if it isn't, and once you order, you can't cancel. Go to J&J parts, they are an authorized Samsung parts distributor.

Wimlok
TV Wizard
TV Wizard

kzklkzbi

Post by Wimlok » Sun Jan 15, 2023 4:02 pm

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”