Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
vietnamese network appearance
Dat Fan

Dat Phan was in an interview with a Saigon TV representative. his mom and gf was there with him.
Miss Extraordinare
Miss Extraordinare

Who, Kimberly? or are you sure it's his girl or his sisteR?

It was his girlfriend. They said she works for NBC san deigo. She said she met him a long time ago, but lost touch with him, but saw a story about him at her work while they were editing it and decided to contact him. This was before he won lcs.

Dat was in Little Saigon (a part of westminster in orange county for non-cali people). He took some family to the Phuc Loc Tho (sp?), the asian garden mall, and there he was mobbed with fans.

It was an interesting interview because we got to see some of dat's loved ones. His mom, gf, and brother were all in the interview.

It was also amusing because Dat struggled with his vietnamese, and switched back and forth from viet to english after the interviewer told him it was okay to speak english if he was more comfortable that way. His girlfriend didn't speak any at all. She said in vietnamese "I dont speak viet that well" and then started talking in english.

His mother was the only one who spoke only vietnamese. His brother seemed to struggle a little bit, but his vietnamese was far more fluent then Dat's.

Dat was cool. He joked around, but didn't go into his act of anything. The "voice" never came out. Apparently dat has bodyguards now, and he bought an infinite (the car). Talked about buying a new house. How his brother helped him win LCS, growing up poor etc...

Talked about some other stuff too, i dont know if too any of you guys are actually interested in hearing the details of the interview so i'm gonna stop. I'm hungry....
Miss Extraordinare
Miss Extraordinare

Datty is rollin.

it would be interesting to see dat speak viet...

i imagine he struggled some...
View user's profileFind all posts by that _guy88Send private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressICQ Number
Dat Fan

i missed part of it and wanna know more please! lol
OMG he was at asian mall?!?!?! cant believe i didnt go!!!!!!

oh yeah miss kristelle, his gf was Annie Nguyen
iono who this kimberly u are talking about lol
Miss Moderator
Miss Moderator

I guess I've missed something..the last girlfriend I knew of was Kimberly.

I didn't see it, so uhh...yeah. I'll just be lost now. Shocked
View user's profileFind all posts by HeatherSend private messageSend e-mailAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Dat's Ex-Bodyguard
Dat's Ex-Bodyguard

Annie is his current lady.

"A fool and his money are easily parted. I'd pay anyone a lot of money, to explain to me what that means." Homer Simpson
Re: vietnamese network appearance
Renaissance Man
Renaissance Man

darkaznwarlock wrote:
Dat Phan was in an interview with a Saigon TV representative. his mom and gf was there with him.

I set that up

Dat's Ex-Bodyguard

Well eddie aren't you just the stud .

"A fool and his money are easily parted. I'd pay anyone a lot of money, to explain to me what that means." Homer Simpson
I work for saigon tv
1 dream

I work for saigon tv and yes the interview went really well. It looks like we might repeat it next saturday aug. 24 because we got a good response so did the radio interview at vncr. Thanks for coming over to SGTV

the big mexican
Dat Fan

Just to add a little more, since it seems not that many people watched it.
They (dat, his mother,gf, and bro) thanked the vietnamese support like 5 times. They were very gracious.

The interviewer asked dat when was at rock bottom. Dat asked whether the interviewer was refering to when he lived with his mother or when he was off on his own. The interview said either or both. Dat then told a story about when he was younger, all Dat's mother had was a pouch of coins, and their id in it. Somehow, his mother lost the pouch and that was the point when they had literally nothing. They didn't have any identification, nor no money whatsoever. they had used up all their welfare money for the period. He then talked abuot living in his car for 3 months after moving to l.a., and then he got into a talk about his sacifice.

The interviewer also asked him and his girlfriend about his bodyguards and how they can't go get ice cream together without people approaching him. Most of his privacy is now lost because of the fame. Dat responded saying he knew the circumstances when he decided to persue his dream and that it is part of the territory. This is something he is willing to sacrifice.

They also talked about buying a new house. Dat said he would live with his mother and joked that he wanted his room next to the kitchen so he could always wake up to his mothers cooking, like pho.

At one point, they asked him about how he comes up with his material. Dat says that his jokes are based everyone around him, he makes fun of his mother, his sisters, his brother, and then he jokingly told the interviewer he would even joke about her. The interviewer laughed and said "life is a joke for you" (she didn't mean it in a negative way, even though it sounds that way). Dat said he takes his life seriously, and that pain + time = funny. He then brought up an example, saying remember when you were little and your parents hit you when you did something bad? At the time it wasn't funny, rather it was painful. But when you look back, you remember that you knocked over the fish tank and all of it got on your dad's burger, and that is the reason you got hit, you will think its funny. Because this happened a long time ago.

Dat talked about he bought a black infiniti G35.
hmm...

Dat's brother Duc is his connection to the vietnamese community. Duc said that when he was watching lcs, he was saddened by how the other comics picked on dat. THis made him more determined. Before the voting, he passed out thousands of flyers in Little Saigon telling them about lcs and that one of their own was on the show. In his words, he was trying to unite the vietnamese communtiy.

Dat's girlfriend spoke about Dat now being the voice of the vietnamese community. He is a role model to all young viets. Viets have never had anyone repesent them in american entertainment, and Dat is now our representative.

Dat's mother, who was interviewed first, just thanked the vietnamese community. She said she supported him and wants him to be happy.

Towards the end of the interview, Dat looked into the camera and said that dreams can come true, he is living proof, and that even though your parents might not agree with your dreams, to not let that discourage you.

Probably some stuff i left out, if anybody watched it and understood it, can add.
Miss Extraordinare's Biznatch

That is really cool, I am so glad that Dat's dreams were able to come true.

lol and now eddie is an official match maker.

What?!?!? did you say Annie Nguyen? Oh my gosh!!!

I don't know her!

Dat Phabulous

ever so positive...i like that!

her name is Annie Nguyen? it figures he'd date a viet girl. she's probably petite and cute

Miss Extraordinare

wow thats awesome!!

yeah i saw that on TV also that interview i was also at Phuc Loc Tho that day gosh it was just jammed pack like to a point where i couldnt breath.
View user's profileFind all posts by aznangelchick88Send private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Hmm
systemicanomalme

Last I heard...

Annie Nguyen can speak Vietnamese if she wants to.

Last I heard...

Annie Nguyen IS petite and not cute, she's gorgeous.

Last I heard...

You guys are a bunch of goofballs!

And the very last I heard

Annie kisses like an angel

But that's all hearsay

What would I know?
Dat Phanaholic

lmao..
View user's profileFind all posts by aznangelchick88Send private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
vietnamese network appearance