bxbadgvnyk

Moderator: Angel

Xploitz
Contributor
Contributor

Samsung HLN467WX/XAA Unique No Power Problem

Post by Xploitz » Wed Oct 14, 2009 2:07 am

Hi. First time viewer and poster here at these forums. I hope somebody can help me.

I have a Samsung DLP TV that I inherited from my brother. It was made clear to me that it didn't work anymore. I figured I have a $3000 TV for the first time in my life and I want it to work!

Model # HLN467WX/XAA

It wont turn on. What I mean is that the color wheel wont spin, the fans wont run, the lamp wont turn on. Its like its not getting power...but it is. I noticed that on power up that the green lamp light will blink twice before the TV "shuts down. (Total time TV is powering up from the time I press the power button on the TV till it shuts off is less than 5 seconds.) I hear the relay click from the power button. I can hear what sounds to be a very high pitched whining sound like a camera charging up sound that seems to be coming from the ballast. But then after just a couple of seconds....nothing...it just powers off and doesn't try to start up again on its own. I have to press the power button to try the cycle again, and its always the same unhappy ending no matter if I unplug it and plug it back in or if I press and hold down the power button. Nothing. No life in it.

What test can I try to determine what part I need to replace? And what do you suspect to be the problem?

Fans wont fun, lamp wont light up, and color wheel wont spin. I can see a green light on the back of what I "think" is the digital board. So there's power flowing.....hmmmm.

**TEST IVE PREFORMED**

I just tested the ballast.

Coming from the power board (the blue and brown wire) to the ballast. I obtained a reading of 216VDC on initial power on, and dropped to a "steady" 180VDC. (Seems low???) I don't know what the standard DC voltage is for the ballast to receive but I "think" this is enough? The power only stayed on for 2-3 seconds before it shutdown. Still, no lamp...no fans, no color wheel life. Oh, and the ballast only made one "click" which was after what i believe was the tv shutting itself down.

I don't think you can measure the voltage going to the lamp (excess of 10,000 volts?) but with the lamp pulled out, I know I don't see any spark "arc" at the lamp terminals...nor do I see anything on the ballast "glow" as Ive heard you are suppose to see. Does any of this make sense? Am I suppose to see an "spark arc" at the lamp connector?? If not...perhaps I have a bad ballast? Wish I knew a way to confirm if my ballast is bad.

I haven't changed the lamp because the lamp is in pristine condition. No burn spots, char or anything like that, and the filament is intact. Nice and shiny.

I remember reading somewhere that before the lamp lights up the color wheel MUST be spinning? Is this true?? Because in my case neither the color wheel, fans nor the lamp will turn on.

I bypassed the "safety switch" that's just inside the lamp panel and still same problem.

Also, I shorted or "bypassed" the thermal bimetal switch by connecting a alligator test lead across both top prongs, and still same issue. No fans, no color wheel spin...no lamp. :(

Thanks for any help or advice fellas!!

-=Xploitz=-

Xploitz
Contributor
Contributor

Re: Samsung HLN467WX/XAA Unique No Power Problem

Post by Xploitz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 1:40 pm

Any guesses guys?? ANYTHING at all I can try or anything else I can test?? :?:

Xploitz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xploitz » Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:45 pm

Never mind...

I trashed the TV. F- it.

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 2:50 am

the power supplies in these are know to have cold solder joints. and they will give you this issue. the power supply is behind the analog board.

Xploitz
Contributor
Contributor

Post by Xploitz » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:04 am

Jason1976 wrote:the power supplies in these are know to have cold solder joints. and they will give you this issue. the power supply is behind the analog board.
Thanks for the help, but I trashed that tv long ago and bought a Vizio 240Hz 1080p 42" TV for $600 brand new in the box on craigslist since then.... and I'm very Impressed with it.

http://www.vizio.com/sv421xvt.html#support

Great bang for your buck that's for sure!!! 8-)

Jason1976
TV Repair Ninja
TV Repair Ninja

Post by Jason1976 » Wed Dec 02, 2009 3:12 am

cool to bad you trashed it. you could of sold the parts from inside on ebay. people get over 200 dollars for the light engine.

Return to “Akai DLP Discussion”