Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Disappointment
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

has anyone ever been disapointed in people of your culture? I was when i went to an MB and they were bashing blakcs and whtes and even mexicans! needless to say i was pissed off and horrified.
has anyone ever had an experince like that?

I hear it all the time. I hear people of different cultures doing it. People of different religions doing it. You name it, I've heard it. It sucks. Those types of people need to be moved out to an island to fight amongst themselves. The people on this board are of all ethnic groups, religions, etc. I can pretty much guarantee that we would all be appalled at that behavior.

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

intresting way of putting that Jenny.....So we should have another Australia? Smile
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

jennyko72 wrote:
I hear it all the time. I hear people of different cultures doing it. People of different religions doing it. You name it, I've heard it. It sucks. Those types of people need to be moved out to an island to fight amongst themselves. The people on this board are of all ethnic groups, religions, etc. I can pretty much guarantee that we would all be appalled at that behavior.

thank you for identifiying with this problem.

thelostlibra: i guess there should be another one Wink

I just can't stand when people talk crap about other religions and ethnic groups. An island might have been a bit drastic.

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

How about we all go to an island???That sounds better!! Very Happy
The Wonders of Magic Shell

I'll head to the airport now...

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

yes!!!! ok well we need to figure out the location first.
The Wonders of Magic Shell

You name it, I'll be there...

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

Ok..I will start looking.
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

jennyko72 wrote:
You name it, I'll be there...

before i let ya'll go on yer honey moon..... i'll tell you my side of the story

My cousins are very influenced by media and the public. they listen to rap, r&b, raggae... not that i have anything against those, but they are just consumed. They refuse to eat any Vietnamese foods or foods of any culture other than Burgers, hot dogs, spaghetti... white foods. I cant force them to but last week they admitted that they WANTED to be white, dissapointed to be Vietnamese. they dont have any background knowlage, can barely speak Vietnamese. I just wanted to punch them... blame the media.....

Viet_Huy wrote:

I thought we were all going to the island, but if it's our honeymoon, you may want to stay home...

On a more serious note in response to your cousins:
It's just as sad when people deny their own heritage and culture. We should ebrace each other for our similarities AND our differences. Now, I wouldn't necessarily blame the media, though. There are many Vietnamese that are proud of their heritage. Like you. The media had no affect on you. Why? Strong family culture? Strong community culture? I can't answer that. But there is a reason that you and your cousins have differing views. We have to hold ourselves, our families, our communities responsible for our children's upbringing. We need to teach pride and at the same time, we need to teach tolerance.
(And no, I am not running for President, I occasionally just go off on tangents...) If we blame the media, what are we proving? That Media is raising our children. Interaction, people, interaction.

~Captain Jack Sparrow
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

Ohhh yea staying home would be a good idea..If it were our honeymoon that is..
Re: Disappointment
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

SkitzoDemon6 wrote:
has anyone ever been disapointed in people of your culture? I was when i went to an MB and they were bashing blakcs and whtes and even mexicans! needless to say i was pissed off and horrified.
has anyone ever had an experince like that?

I think this happens in every culture. People don't accept who they are. Or they don't think it's "cool" to be into thier heritage. I don't bash anyone, I'm a mutt. and proud of it too.

There is nothing you can do about those people, you can only control your attitude.

Gina rocks!

Well honeymooners, I think a few of us plan on crashing the event

jennyko72 wrote:
Viet_Huy wrote:

:lol: I thought we were all going to the island, but if it's our honeymoon, you may want to stay home...

On a more serious note in response to your cousins:
It's just as sad when people deny their own heritage and culture. We should ebrace each other for our similarities AND our differences. Now, I wouldn't necessarily blame the media, though. There are many Vietnamese that are proud of their heritage. Like you. The media had no affect on you. Why? Strong family culture? Strong community culture? I can't answer that. But there is a reason that you and your cousins have differing views. We have to hold ourselves, our families, our communities responsible for our children's upbringing. We need to teach pride and at the same time, we need to teach tolerance.
(And no, I am not running for President, I occasionally just go off on tangents...) If we blame the media, what are we proving? That Media is raising our children. Interaction, people, interaction.

lol get a lil crowded wouldnt it? how bout we just colonize on mars or the moon.

well media brings diversity but not everyone is really getting and equal share. my cousins have one point i do agree with. they tell me "If you ask a white man to guess what ethnic you are, he would probably say Chinese, Japanese, Korean" most shows on tv have at least 2 asian people on it but they are usually Chinese or Japanese or Korean. There is nothing wrong with those countries but they are getting too public. One of the things that make me mad the most about the media is that they refer to Lunar New Years as Chinese New Years and Im thinking... "What?! Did everyone else just get cut off?" Those countries i mentioned should also be mad because if an asian gang goes and kills a bunch of people, everyone looks at the asian gang as the Chinese gang or the japanese gang, or etc. last but not least, we were doing geography when we came across an asian market. some kid yells out "Look Chinese food". I recognized that it was not a chinese resturant but a Loa one so i told her. "What's the difference?" she said.... that just made my day.

because of media lots of people think all asians are the same. mainly because of our eyes. they say "You're all the same because you all look the same and talk the same" well they wouldn't noe if we talked the same if they dont know our language. an asian guy could come to canada and see a french guy talking and an american talking in 2 different languages and guess what? they sound the same. its because we know our language that we can tell the difference. if asians look the same, white people look the same, blacks look the same, browns look the same. one group i feel kinda badly for are the brown people (saying brown because we refer to the yellow people as asians) because now they are all a terrorist because of how much we judge people by stereotype

Delicious Monster

I don't know, my skin has a yellow hue, and I'm not asian!

I understand what you mean, but those people are just ignorant. For example, I thought I would like korean food because I like chinese, japanese, vietnamese, and thai food. But I was wrong. (there may be some good korean food, I know) now I know, and I am no longer ignorant.

i thought the same way about Asian food. but i was sadly mistaken, i thought Japanese food and Chinese food were the same, but they are slightly diffrent from each other. *YAY Sushi!*

So you like Jappanese food Gina ........Cool..That means you like sushi!!! Smile
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

most people look at japanese food and thjink of sushi.... ever thought that most of those really good candys u eat are made in japan?