Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Dat No Funny
Dat Fan Newbie

I'm sure I will be banned for this, but I just have to get this all out. How in the WORLD can somebody as unfunny and untalented as Dat Phan win a contest like Last COMIC Standing? Why did so many of you people vote for the little riceball (not that I'm racist, I'm just referring to one of his not-so-funny jokes)? If it's because you felt sorry for him and his little sob story, almost all of the contestants have one, they just wanted to get by on TALENT and not sympathy. For example, here's just a little piece of Ralphie May's press release (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/8/inktomi76900.php): "Born in Chattanooga, Tenn. and growing up in Clarksville, Ark., Ralphie began gaining weight after a car accident at the age of 16 in which he broke 42 bones. Peaking at 800 pounds, he received a stomach-stapling operation in which he dropped 350 pounds from his 5-foot, 11-inch frame. Now, he needs a more drastic gastric bypass surgery to get to his target weight of about 200 pounds." Ralphie May needed SURGERY while Dat Phan simply wanted out of his STUDIO apartment in L.A. As I sit here in my 10 x 10 room in a trailer park because it's all we can afford, I wonder why people aren't thankful for the things they have. I admit that I shed a tear or two when Dat Phan said he wanted to win so he wouldn't be poor anymore, but by his silk shirts and his jewel-encrusted samurai swords, he didn't appear to be doing too shabby to me. You felt sympathy for Dat Phan, yet you didn't feel sorry for someone with Leukemia or someone with morbid obesity. If you voted for him because you seriously thought he was funny, you need to seriously rethink your sense of humor. All he does is impressions of his mother or talk about being Vietnamese, yet Ant was turned down because all he talked about was being gay. I don't know if you've been following Dat Phan's "career", but on every minor appearance, from the different times he performed on Last Comic Standing to the time he was on Funny Money, but he ALWAYS tells the EXACT same jokes. Come on people, you could at least vote for somebody who can come up with some original material every now and then. If you voted for him because you think he is going to be the next Jackie Chan, I agree that his acting skills are definitely amazing. I mean, the way he poured that cup of coffee on Good Morning, Miami... wow! I've been pouring coffee for years and have never been able to do so with such elegance and style. If you voted for him because he's such a nice guy, he did seem rather nice, but as Cory Kahaney said... "This is is Last Comic Standing.. not Last Nice Guy Standing." Oh, and if you voted for him simply because he's cute, where were you during American Idol 2?
Dat Phanaholic

Location: Regularly commuting from modern Oklahoma to Meiji Era Japan
And now for my rebuttal:

I rather liked Dat Phan. I felt an instant click when I saw him on TV. Ralphie was funny too, as were most of the cast members, but I felt the closest to Dat. I kept an open mind about everyone, even Ralphie, who i will admit didn't appeal to me at first. But everyone who made it onto Last Comic Standing worked hard to get there, even Dat.

oshiete ikeru imi o
View user's profileFind all posts by Species 125Send private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

Species 125 wrote:
And now for my rebuttal:

I rather liked Dat Phan. I felt an instant click when I saw him on TV. Ralphie was funny too, as were most of the cast members, but I felt the closest to Dat. I kept an open mind about everyone, even Ralphie, who i will admit didn't appeal to me at first. But everyone who made it onto Last Comic Standing worked hard to get there, even Dat.

Very well put...my thoughts exactly.

Renaissance Man

ralphiemay4ever wrote:
I'm sure I will be banned for this, but I just have to get this all out. How in the WORLD can somebody as unfunny and untalented as Dat Phan win a contest like Last COMIC Standing? Why did so many of you people vote for the little riceball (not that I'm racist, I'm just referring to one of his not-so-funny jokes)? If it's because you felt sorry for him and his little sob story, almost all of the contestants have one, they just wanted to get by on TALENT and not sympathy. For example, here's just a little piece of Ralphie May's press release (http://www.prweb.com/releases/2003/8/inktomi76900.php): "Born in Chattanooga, Tenn. and growing up in Clarksville, Ark., Ralphie began gaining weight after a car accident at the age of 16 in which he broke 42 bones. Peaking at 800 pounds, he received a stomach-stapling operation in which he dropped 350 pounds from his 5-foot, 11-inch frame. Now, he needs a more drastic gastric bypass surgery to get to his target weight of about 200 pounds." Ralphie May needed SURGERY while Dat Phan simply wanted out of his STUDIO apartment in L.A. As I sit here in my 10 x 10 room in a trailer park because it's all we can afford, I wonder why people aren't thankful for the things they have. I admit that I shed a tear or two when Dat Phan said he wanted to win so he wouldn't be poor anymore, but by his silk shirts and his jewel-encrusted samurai swords, he didn't appear to be doing too shabby to me. You felt sympathy for Dat Phan, yet you didn't feel sorry for someone with Leukemia or someone with morbid obesity. If you voted for him because you seriously thought he was funny, you need to seriously rethink your sense of humor. All he does is impressions of his mother or talk about being Vietnamese, yet Ant was turned down because all he talked about was being gay. I don't know if you've been following Dat Phan's "career", but on every minor appearance, from the different times he performed on Last Comic Standing to the time he was on Funny Money, but he ALWAYS tells the EXACT same jokes. Come on people, you could at least vote for somebody who can come up with some original material every now and then. If you voted for him because you think he is going to be the next Jackie Chan, I agree that his acting skills are definitely amazing. I mean, the way he poured that cup of coffee on Good Morning, Miami... wow! I've been pouring coffee for years and have never been able to do so with such elegance and style. If you voted for him because he's such a nice guy, he did seem rather nice, but as Cory Kahaney said... "This is is Last Comic Standing.. not Last Nice Guy Standing." Oh, and if you voted for him simply because he's cute, where were you during American Idol 2?

This post was funny. Another persone who thinks Er's got all the right answers and represents America. You're sounding like Ralphie May kid. And if you think Dat was wearing silk shirts and had shinney swords, take a closer look. Those swords aren't metal, they're plastic... and coated in metallic. The silk shirts aren't silk, and they were purchased for him by NBC---who purchased many articles of clothing for the other contestants.

Sure some people voted for him because he's Asian. Some voted because he's cute and thought he had a sob story. Some may have voted because they just wanted the underdog to win. And I'm sure a lot of people voted for him because they thought he was funny.

Did you ever stop to think about some people may have voted for Ralphie because he's fat? Because they felt sorry for him, or they thought the same as you did, and hated Dat Phan's comedy... Just not enough people who thought like you were able to hate Dat's comedy enough. I'm sure people voted for Ralphie also because he's from Texas or from the south--southern pride.

I've seen it all before. And I've seen both of their sets in their entirety without cameras. I can tell you now that Ralphie is a Headliner comic--and a damn good one. As for public appeal, Ralphie doesn't make the cut like Dat.

If you don't know this about comedy: People tell the same jokes, over and over. It's called a set-list. Dat burned all his material on LCS--very unfortunate. People are led to believe Comics have hours of comedy material. That's simply not true unless you're Pablo Francisco, or Ralphie may--doing comedy for many many years. Dat has only been doing comedy seriously for about 2-3 years, and less than a year in Hollywood.

Dat lived in a 10x10 studio, because that's all he could afford. There were times he would eat nothing but bread and drink nothing but water. Dat's been poor. It's one of his driving forces in life to do what he can to make it in this world and do what he loves to do--make people laugh.

If you can't appreciate his kindness, his demenor, his humor, his elegant psychotic fashions, then you don't even deserve to say anything about comedy. You don't know what it's like and you haven't been there. All you have is overstated and seemingly unpopular opinions which have been reitterated countless times by the same handfull of people who claim to know a think or two about comedy.

Get over it. Dat's funny to many people in this world--maybe not to you, or to some others out there, but he is funny.

You've said your peace, I will not ban you, but I will also not stop other Admins from banning you. Your post wasn't appaulingly negative, but it was opinionated. So I'll leave it. You're free to stay as long as you don't start any fights or make this forum an uncormfortable place for anyone.

Dat Phan is about peace and unity and sharing laughs together... even if some others don't laugh.

Have a great day.

very well put eddie.

holy shib!!! eddie just made the funniest post i have EVER READ!! that er's got all the answer crack was like... gold lol.. and the metallic coated plastic sword thing was a bit harsh but needed. i know this was like... A LONG TIME AGO but i voted dat phan because he's family fun.. everyone else was really funny too execpt they were more 13+ fun

nice...

haven't we touched on this before though?

dat's funny, ralphie's funny, everyone was funny, but um dat won... so get over it people

i would so pay to see how you guys make it in the real world

an Alternative Lifestyles Company
View user's profileFind all posts by silver_lined_lexiSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

silver_lined_lexi wrote:
nice...
dat's funny, ralphie's funny, everyone was funny, but um dat won... so get over it people

Yes, we've been there done that. Seems every month or so a topic like this pops up again.

silver_lined_lexi wrote:
nice...

this topic was a long time ago, i just brought it back up cuz eddie was soooooooooooo funny and smart in it :P

Gina rocks!

Viet_Huy wrote:

this topic was a long time ago, i just brought it back up cuz eddie was soooooooooooo funny and smart in it

Isn't Eddie's remarks always smart and funny?

not when he's talking to you :lol:

Gina rocks!

Viet_Huy wrote:
not when he's talking to you

Uhhhh.....I don't get it. Shocked

Gina wrote:
Viet_Huy wrote:
not when he's talking to you :lol:

Uhhhh.....I don't get it. :shock:

well..... its not so great if I<-- me explain it. look.... uhh when eddie says a comment like that to someone else everyone is laughing WITH you. when eddie says it to you everyone is laughing AT you.. lol get it?

Gina rocks!

Viet_Huy wrote:

well..... its not so great if I<-- me explain it. look.... uhh when eddie says a comment like that to someone else everyone is laughing WITH you. when eddie says it to you everyone is laughing AT you.. lol get it?

Eddie only laughts AT me behind my back. Wink

i'm not sure what they wrote, i only read the first twenty words i don't have that kind of attention span to read the "why dat should have lost" thesis and the rebutal but eddie i'm sure it rocked

an Alternative Lifestyles Company
View user's profileFind all posts by silver_lined_lexiSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Re: Dat No Funny
Mr.Spock

ralphiemay4ever wrote:

I agree. Dat seems nice. But not at all funny. Is everybody here on drugs or something?! Why do you all think he's so hilarious?
whitemoongurl

He's hilarious to me because he's different than the other comedians just starting out. It seems to me that other comedians are talking about Saddam Hussein (sp?) and Osama Bin Laden or whatever. He's gotta start somewhere, why not start with an impression he can do? Then again, why do I bother arguing with someone who will not change their mind about Dat? *sigh* tsk tsk
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

Welcome to the forum whitemoongurl.

Nice having you here.
Very Happy

Thanks! I actually did see the website a long time ago, but then I must have forgotten about it until last night after I watched his Comedy Central act.
Gina rocks!
Gina rocks!

I'm glad you found it again!

If you post something in the Dat Phan Picture of the Day thread, you may get Dat's attention. Go say hello!

He checks posts there pretty often.