Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Much love for the Dat
Dat Fan in Training

I started following Dat with the new showings of Last Comic Standing and to me it's obvious why Dat won... and he did win, three challenges in a row that relied on the audiences votes, not fixed judges votes.

Dat has a positive energy, he's likeable, he's uplifting and happy and fun, he's not a negative, meanspirited 'sarcastic bastard' type of comic that is so common these days. Dave was the perfect example of that and to me Dat was an obvious winner in their matchup.

Dave was mean, bitter, depressed, and angry. Dat was happy, upbeat, and energetic. Dave let you know what a scum you were, he was, everyone was. Dat made you feel happier after you heard his act.

In some ways Dat reminds me of a Sinbad or Cosby. Uplifting, positive comics. As for the exagerrated stereotypes.... damn. How many black comics do stereotypical comedy routines? or fat comics? Or Jewish Comics? Or Latin comics?

Dat's funny and likeable, and I was so happy when he won. He has a bright future ahead of him. I'm sure I'll be smiling a year or two from now when the Dat haters are still mystified why our boy's career is soaring.

EDIT: Hmm, I meant this to be a reply to someone else, not it's own thread. Your board, it vexes me!
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

I know exactly what you mean.

First, Dat's positive, upbeat routine is what made me like him more than any of the other comedians. And, I am a little concerned about this season, LCS 2. This is because I heard that NBC is putting their hands into the making of the show more than before.They should have stuck with the original format...great old comedians judgin new talent, then audiences deciding the show downs, then the tv audience deciding the final.

Perhaps the reason the format has changed is because Jay Mohr was so suprised that Dat won, and not his friend, Voss, that he wants to make sure his chosen one wins this time.

Finally, as far as your trouble with the postings, it's ok. We all needed to get used to it. THe original format was a little more difficult, so they are making improvements as they can.

Sensei Ern
View user's profileFind all posts by senseiernSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Phreakin' Amazing!

good way of putting how dat won. But there is no "better" way of comedy. I like both the grudge type of comedy and the positive kind. i think that a good comedian would be one who has found the perfect balance between the two types. i believe the reason some dat haters hate dat is

1) he does tend to repeat jokes
2) they're kind of cheap laughs(accent, mom)
3) He does not do the type that the haters like.

Now there is a reason why dat runs out of material. it's because of the jokes he does. they're very short. good for lcs but for an hour show, they're bad. dave mordal would be good for a one hour show. his jokes are longer and lead up to one big laugh at the end with several small jokes in the middle.

this is why i like george carlin so much. he has a mix of both long and short jokes, some jokes are positive, usually they're negative in pointing out human stupidity, he does not stick to one topic, he always has back up jokes uncase one fails.
View user's profileFind all posts by Charlie_Send private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Dat Fan in Training

I agree about no one type of comedy is 'best.' Actually Dave was probably my second favorite comic on the show, and he was definitely different in style from Dat. And I agree Dat definitely has a lot of room to grow and improve, but he's still very new in the comedy biz.

I'm excited to see how he does as a seasoned comedy vet in a few years!
Much love for the Dat