Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Discuss Asian Americans in the media
Dat Fan

I think Dat's core constituency is the Asian American community, and the best way this forum can expand is for it to promote a thoughtful discussion of media portrayals of Asian Americans and how Dat can play a role in empowering the community. (For more on media stereotypes against Asian Americans, read this article and visit this database.)

I was heartened to hear Dat discuss the problem of media stereotypes facing the Asian American community. I'm hopeful that in his future work, he will be mindful of these stereotypes and sensitive about their effects. NBC can play a constructive part in this by letting Dat have creative control over his projects and treating Asian American perspectives as central rather than peripheral. By treating Dat in a respectful manner, in sharp contrast to the way FOX has treated Asian Americans in the show "Banzai," NBC is likely to win a loyal following among Asian Americans for their other shows as well.

Oh, and I hope Dat confines the martial arts to his private life and doesn't add it to his acting/comedy repertoire -- he doesn't need it to be funny or sympathetic, and we really don't need the TV networks to force yet another promising Asian American male actor into the role of a martial arts expert. Dat needs to use whatever negotiating leverage he has now with NBC to give him the same range of casting opportunities it would have given Rich Vos.
View user's profileFind all posts by AndrewSend private messageVisit poster's website
Miss Extraordinare
Miss Extraordinare

i placed this topic in two places so it can be discussed:

This is one that should be out and exposed to everyone.

You sure you want to link to that site? the community seems very.. outspoken. And Judging from their Message board, They're getting passionate about Dat Phan right now... and not in a good way. I'm just saying your life as a Moderator is probably tough enough as it is, you really want to give the haters fuel?
Miss Extraordinare
Miss Extraordinare

I'm not giving "Fire its fuel" oh no,

But i'm sure that anyone within the few people that are Dat's good fans, there is someone that wants to be an advocate for the Asian community.

Yeah, this site can be pretty strong in its decisions - and yes, i have to admit, some of the things i may or may not disagree with.

But this isn't for the flamers - if they choose to spread their anger on someone else's message board, then so be it! It's out of my hands if they do.

*sigh.. that article is SOO true. everytime i watch the news, when the asian reporter comes on, i yell to my parents, "LOOK, it's that ASIAN lady!!!" then we watch the news together until it's over. i would soo love a television show that depicts asians taht are like me, but in a comical way Very Happy that'd be cool

check out my web page

Dat Phan, you're super DUPER cool
View user's profileFind all posts by Li1azn13oy4uSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dat Fan

yo i wanna be a Dat Phanaholic too Very Happy

check out my web page

Dat Phan, you're super DUPER cool
View user's profileFind all posts by Li1azn13oy4uSend private messageSend e-mailVisit poster's websiteAIM Address
Dat Fan

Cool Web page!

So what do you think of the way Asian Americans are portrayed in the media? Do you have any ideas for how Dat can break stereotypes in his next show?

Li1azn13oy4u wrote:
*sigh.. that article is SOO true. everytime i watch the news, when the asian reporter comes on, i yell to my parents, "LOOK, it's that ASIAN lady!!!" then we watch the news together until it's over. i would soo love a television show that depicts asians taht are like me, but in a comical way Very Happy that'd be cool

same here whenever an asian person is on TV were all like "OMG Asian, now lets huddle and watch" kidding

in california there a news anchor who's vietnamese asian american which is awsome her name is Lenya Nguyen on KCAL 9 which is great makes me feel closer and that's like my fave station when i watch the news in california

the reason why we started watching last comic standing was because of dat he was asian lol. its pretty funny but we get bored easily watching the same thing over and over we need something different. and when we learned that his family own a nail salon or something like that we freaked our family own like 20 all over the USA.
View user's profileFind all posts by aznangelchick88Send private messageVisit poster's websiteAIM AddressYahoo Messenger
Discuss Asian Americans in the media