Dat Phan Online
                      The homesite and meeting place of Dat Fans everywhere

Switch to Flash Forum
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Sharing the pain
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

I just found out that it will cost almost $1000 to get my car running like new again. Crying or Very sad

What happened to it? WHat make and model of car?

Sensei Ern
View user's profileFind all posts by senseiernSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

overdue maintenance. it's a 2000 honda crv. I'm not sure it's ever had a tune up, and, I need new front brakes. dang.

Gina rocks!

Jokesonme just spent about $1200 on my car. Confused

It's dirty job and it takes a long time. I would wager you are paying more for labor than parts.

There is a manual for nearly every car made. The company is called Chilton, and the books are referred to as Chilton Manuals. If you got one of those for your car, you could do tune ups and brakes yourself.

You will save a lot of money, and gain the admiration of every gearhead for more than your looks.

The way I determine whther I do the work are to evaluate two things: 1. Can I fix it myself? How much is my own time worth?

If I can not fix it, then it is a no brainer...the shop gets it. If it would cost me more in time than what the mechanic charges, he fixes it...and example is, I make $55 per hour. The job would take me 4 hours...brakes and a tune up. THe mechanic will take 3 hours at $60 per hour...Me:$220 in time, Mech:$180...the mechanic does the work. If I made only $30 per hour=Me:$120....then I would do the work.

Sensei Ern
View user's profileFind all posts by senseiernSend private messageVisit poster's websiteYahoo MessengerMSN Messenger
Delicious Monster
Delicious Monster

I determined that it was more cost effective to let the mechanic do the work, I don't have a lot of time or tools. I used to work on my old car, but there is a big differnce between an 86 Tempo and a 2000 CRV!
(Not that I don't REALLY like to impress the gmotor heads. yummy!)